- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion white or yellow
- 2 pounds mussels cleaned
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/4 cup clam juice optional
- 2 14.5oz canned tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large pot with olive oil and sliced garlic and onions.
- When aroma is released, add mussels.
- Add lemon juice, herbs and clam juice (optional), and gently toss.
- Add tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium heat until mussels are steamed open, generally 3 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Discard unopened mussels.
- To finish mussels, add butter and swirl to make broth thicker.
- Optional: Serve with crusty bread for dipping in broth.