No products in the cart.
- 1 Medium octopus
- 4 liters water
- 1 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 habanero pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 grains of Allspice
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 juice of lime
For the Ceviche
- 1 large red onion 100 g. approx.
- 2 chilies
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Try to select a fresh octopus. Rinse the octopus under running water, wash it very well. Check the suction cups on the tentacles to remove any marine detritus attached to the octopus flesh. Place in a bowl while you prepare the broth.
- Peel the onion and cut it into four pieces. Peel the garlic. Wash the chili, cut it in two, and extract the seeds.
- peeled onion garlic and chilli
- Bring a pot with four to six liters of water to a boil (it depends on the size of the pot). Inside the pot, place the white onion, garlic cloves, habanero pepper, bay leaves, allspice, lemon juice, and salt. Cook uncovered over high heat until boiling.
- allspice onion garlic boiling in water
- How to cook octopus for ceviche? To prepare the octopus successfully we need the tentacles to curl. This requires a procedure known in the cooking world as “scare the octopus”. The octopus is held by the head and the tips of the tentacles are inserted into boiling broth for approximately five seconds. Quickly remove the octopus, wait ten seconds, and repeat the procedure until you see the tip of the tentacles curled up.
- scare the octopus
- When the tips of the tentacles are curled, place the octopus in the pot, and boil covered for approximately twenty minutes until tender. Strain the octopus, discard the liquid and the vegetables. Let it cool for a few minutes until you can cut it.
- boil octopus
- While the octopus is cooling, cut the red onion into thin julienne strips. Wash the peppers, cut them, and extract the veins and seeds. Then chop them finely. Cut the cilantro as small as you can. Grate the ginger on the finest side of the cheese grater.
- cut onions peppers cilantro ginger on chopping board
- In a bowl, place the lime juice, orange juice, grated ginger, olive oil, and salt. Stir very well. Add the onion, cilantro, and finely chopped chili to the bowl. Stir and let it rest for a few minutes while you slice the octopus.
- place lime juice vegetables
- Place the octopus on the cutting board, cut off the head with a sharp knife. Some use it for ceviche, but it is better to remove it because it takes away the appearance of the dish. Slice the tentacles one by one. Then take each tentacle, and cut it into slices about two centimeters long.
- chop octopus pulpo flesh
- Put the pieces in the bowl. Stir everything and voila! Serve with tostones or fried plantains